St. Martin’s Episcopal Church: A Parish History. One of a number of landmarked churches in the Mount Morris Park Historic District representing a remarkable cross-section of late 19th- and early 20th-century eclectic styles associated with the Gilded Age, St. Martin’s Church was erected in 1886, the work of architect William A. Potter. Called Holy Trinity Church at the time, it was home to an affluent congregation.
Community District 10, commonly known as Central Harlem, is located in Upper Manhattan along with three other community districts. Three of the District’s four major boundaries are natural features: Harlem River to the north, Central Park to the south and the Fordham Cliffs to the west. The District’s eastern border, Fifth Avenue, is its only boundary that is not a natural feature. Central Harlem occupies approximately 1.5 square miles of relatively flat land and is often referred to as “the Valley” by long term residents.